There are 2 scenarios when setting up your iPad.
1. You are setting up a new iPad
2. You are configuring an existing iPad
Setting up a new iPad is a simple procedure that consists of a series of simple steps. Once the iPad is turned on all you need to do is follow the Setup Assistant. This will guide you through each section step-by-step.
You will need an Apple ID to set up your iPad. Your child will require their own Apple ID. We DO NOT recommend using a shared Apple ID or a parent's Apple ID. If you do not have an account you can create one with or without a credit card. More information can be found in here.
If you are using an existing iPad, we recommend that you take the following actions.
1. Back up your device in iTunes on your computer.
2. On your iPad, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings > Enter your Passcode
This is reset your iPad to factory settings.
3. Follow the Setup Assistant instructions on your iPad.